Tuesday, January 23, 2007




Up next in the gallery is Joe Penrod, an Olympia artist who's "tape" painting will certainly be something new for us. Using ordinary blue painters tape to copy cast shadows from everyday icons of the urban landscape - stop signs, trash bins, door handles. As the sun arcs in the sky and the shadow continues to crawl across the surface, Penrod photographs the moment in almost surreal simplicity. The result are images of a single object casting dual shadows, images of two true moments in time, vivid blue contrasting the dull grey concrete and shadow. Although visually and conceptually very simple, this is truly something you have to see to understand. Coincidentally, the show opens on Friday, February 2nd, Groundhog's day.

8 comments:

daedalus said...

Hey, I like this stuff. Were you at all inspired by Ellis Gallagher?

Joe said...

Actually, I didn't hear about him until I had been doing these for about 5 months. When I went to New York a lot of people stopped me to ask if I was the guy that traced the night time shadows too. The whole thing ccame from me trying to "clean" shadows. The idea was to tape the outline and scrub the shadow with cleaner, then remove the tape leaving a ghost shadow. I couldn't make that work, but found that I really liked how the tape looked and went with that.

Anonymous said...

good luck joe! you must be installing. i hope it goes well.

Vicki said...

I really like the trash bin with the tape and the shadow. Innovative.

This is art.

Joe said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

www.myspace.com/ellis_gee

Joe said...

Yeah, I've seen his stuff. In fact, I was in Williamsburg doing some of these and a couple people came up and said, "oh, your the shadow guy, good stuff" and I finally figured out they thought I was that guy.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.